The singer recorded a version of the track in 1959

Dean Martin’s daughter has spoken on the debate of banning ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’, claiming that her father would be “going insane” over the recent controversy.

Last week, it was reported that a number of US radio stations had banned the 1944 Christmas song, after listeners claimed that its lyrical content was inappropriate in the wake of #MeToo. Some critics state that the track sees a woman being pressured to stay over at a man’s house, despite saying herself that she should leave.

Following the debate, the track was first banned by Star102 FM in Cleveland, Ohio. A growing number of stations followed suit, though the majority of listeners disagreed with the decision.

With Dean Martin recording a successful version of the festive hit in 1959, his daughter has now weighed in – stating that her father would be opposed to the ban.

“I know my dad would be going insane right now… He would say, ‘What’s the matter with you? Get over it. It’s just a fun song.’ Because he was so sweet,” Deana Martin said on FOX & Friends yesterday (December 10).

“He would never see anything bad in that. He was a great guy, fun guy, nice. And he wouldn’t want to do anything offensive; that wasn’t Dean Martin.”

Read More: Can you complete the lyrics to these Christmas songs?
Saying that the uproar has “just been outrageous”, Martin argued that the track “is a sweet, flirty, fun, holiday song”.

“There’s nothing bad about that song and it just breaks my heart,” she added.

Star102 FM‘s host Glenn Anderson said that the words to ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ come across as “manipulative and wrong”. The line “Say what’s in this drink? (No cabs to be had out there)” proved to be one of the most controversial, with critics claiming that it is a reference to date rape.

Meanwhile, Shane McGowan recently responded to critics who claimed that ‘Fairytale of New York’ should be banned, due to the use of ‘F****t’ in the song.