"We’re going in about six weeks time to finish off what will be our first album in more than a decade."

The Cure‘s Robert Smith has confirmed that the goth icons are about to finish their first album in a decade.

After previously revealing that the band were working on new material, Smith now says that the honour of being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has inspired them to finish their first record since 2008’s ‘4: 13 Dream.’

“Seeing all these new bands—I’ve listened to some of these bands and met so many of them that it’s kind of inspired me to do something new,” Smith told SiriusXM.

“So, yes, we’re going in about six weeks time to finish off what will be our first album in more than a decade. It’s very exciting times for us all around.”

The new record could also arrive in time for next summer, with The Cure being booked to take top billing at some of Europe’s most famous festivals.

It’s also been heavily rumoured that they could take top billing at Glastonbury next year too – joining Stormzy as one of the Pyramid Stage headliners.

When asked about the prospect earlier this year, Smith said: “Yeah, maybe. We haven’t had a happy history with Glastonbury over the years. Although we’ve headlined three times, we’ve never been on the best of terms. I don’t know if they forgive and forget. There are enough other festivals for us to play.”