"I’ve been fighting with depression for the longest."

US rapper Cupcakke has spoken out for the first time since telling Twitter followers that she was going to take her own life.

The 21-year-old rapper, real name Elizabeth Harris, sparked mass concern from fans on Monday night when she posted a tweet that said she was “about to commit suicide.”

It was subsequently confirmed by comedian and close friend Elijah Daniel that Harris was receiving treatment in hospital after police in Chicago visited her apartment shortly afterwards.

Now, Cupcakke has deleted the original tweet and explained how she’s seeking help after a prolonged battle with mental health issues.

“I’ve been fighting with depression for the longest ..sorry that I did it public last night but I’m ok. I went to the hospital & im finally getting the help that I need to get through, be happy, & deliver great music,” the ‘Quiz’ rapper wrote on Twitter.

“Thanks for all the prayers but please don’t worry bout me.”

In the wake of her original post, Cupcakke received an outpouring of support from famous faces including Charli XCX and Iggy Azalea.

“You are powerful. People believe in you, people want to listen to every word you have to say,” said XCX.

The rapper, who released fourth album ‘Eden’ in November last year, was originally due to be touring the UK this week – with a show scheduled in London last night. The dates have since been pushed back to March.