Love took to Instagram to ask Mayer for the favour

Courtney Love has asked John Mayer to find out whether Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh is her godfather.

Mayer currently plays guitar in Dead and Company – a band consisting of former Grateful Dead members Bob Weir, Mickey Hart, and Bill Kreutzmann as well as Mayer.

The guitarist and singer recently posted a photo to Instagram, with retired basketball player Bill Walton and Mickey Hart. Soon after Love commented on the picture asking Mayer about Lesh.

“my insane father who briefly managed the warlocks ( and apparently stole from them ) after dosing me at 4 . and loads of other crazy stuff . told me phil ( lesh ) is my godfather . it may be true . will you find out ? i was too shy to ask in albany once on tour. maybe he’s not . i don’t know . xxx c,” she wrote. She later added, “and i’ll get you a nice rolex john . lol lol .” See the Instagram post below.

Mayer is yet to respond to Love’s comments.

Meanwhile, Love joined the Smashing Pumpkins at their 30th anniversary show last night (August 2). The band were joined by a number of special guests including Love, Deftones‘ frontman Chino Moreno, Peter Hook of Joy Division and New Order, AFI frontman Davey Havok, Sugar Ray’s Mark McGrath, and The Killers‘ Dave Keuning and Mark Stoermer.

Love came out to perform Hole tracks ‘Celebrity Skin’ and ‘Malibu’ – songs which were co-written by Smashing Pumpkins frontman Corgan. She also helped out on a performance of Pumpkins’ song ‘Bullet With Butterfly Wings’.