The Courteeners have announced plans to go on hiatus.

Speaking to Tim Cocker on the XFM Manchester Breakfast Show earlier today (December 13), the band's frontman Liam Fray said that the gig the band are set to play at Manchester Arena tonight will be "the last one we do for a while".

He commented: "I'm not going to say for a long time cos I don't know. We played a lot of gigs this year and we've played those songs a lot, I think we need to go away and decide which ones work best, what we like and reassess really for the next 'phase'". Fray added that 2014 will "definitely be quieter", saying: "The arena will be your last chance to dance for a while... At least a year."

The band finish their eight date UK tour tonight at Manchester Arena. Earlier this year, The Courteeners played to 16,000 people over two nights at two huge hometown shows at Manchester's Castlefield Bowl.

During the XFM interview, Fray also spoke about his contemporaries focusing on singles to the detriment of albums. He commented: "I definitely think that bands are being edged into making amazing singles and then, not that they don't necessarily care about the rest of the record 'cos that would be insane to even suggest that [but] I definitely think that labels and producers whatever are putting all their eggs in one basket for two or three tracks. Whereas, I think it has to be about everything really, you have to try and make every song as big".