"Me and peas have had no relationship for decades"

The Coral have taken aim at Richard Ashcroft with a spoof of the Verve musician’s recent drugs denial.

Over the weekend, Ashcroft was accused of dropping a package of drugs from his pocket during an appearance on Soccer AM. A number of viewers shared footage of the moment on social media, forcing the ‘Bittersweet Symphony’ artist to set the record straight via Instagram.

Addressing “trolls on Twitter”, Ashcroft said in the video: “Number one: Cocaine and I have had no relationship for decades. Number two: Don’t you ever surmise what has fallen out of my pocket. And, don’t bring my children into it.”

He added: “You’re on thin ice. Don’t libel my name. My dad didn’t like litter and I don’t really like litter. But it gets a bit preposterous in my pocket. In The Verve I was known as Colombo, so get your facts right. You’re on thin ice. Peace.”

The Coral have now posted a piss-take video, in which band member Nick Power addresses his own online ‘trolls’.

“Number one: Don’t you ever surmise that I can’t ice skate,” he says during the clip. “I was doing triple axels before some of you were born. And Number B: Me and peas have had no relationship for decades – I prefer carrots.”

“If you don’t get down to our tour next week, you’re gonna be on thin ice,” he continues. “In The Coral they call me Miss Marble, ’cause I might’ve lost my marbles.”

He signs off by holding up a bag of frozen peas, saying: “You’re on thin ice. Peas.”

The Coral’s UK tour kicks off in Newcastle next week, before concluding in London with a show at Camden’s Electric Ballroom. Find tickets and the full schedule here.

The Holylake band released their latest album, ‘Move Through The Dawn‘, on August 17. It was recorded at Liverpool’s Parr Street Studios and was produced by The Coral and Rich Turvey.