The life-size statue was commissioned by the star's widow, Vicky

A statue of Chris Cornell was unveiled in his hometown of Seattle on Sunday (October 7).

The Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman died by suicide on May 18, 2017. He was 52 years old.

The life-size statue was commissioned by the star’s widow, Vicky, last year. It was revealed at a public unveiling outside the city’s Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP) and was created by artist Nick Marras.

Speaking to the Seattle Times, Vicky Cornell said: “I wanted to celebrate and honour him, memorialise his contribution to music history and the arts, philanthropy, in his hometown where his initial impact stems from. It’s a really unique city that – it’s defined him – but also I feel like it propelled him to create this movement that would influence popular music forever.”

The statue was originally planned to be unveiled on August 29, but was postponed so a larger crowd could be accommodated at the event. A screening of Soundgarden’s 2013 show at The Wiltern was held inside MoPOP’s Sky Church after the artwork had been revealed.

In a statement, Vicky Cornell added: “As an artist, my husband was not only one of the greatest voices in rock history but also one of the greatest and most prolific poets of his time – his contribution to music birthed a movement that would leave an indelible mark on popular music forever. It only makes sense that I donate this statue to MoPOP with their dedication to the ideas and risk-taking that fuel contemporary popular culture.

“Like my husband and his music, MoPOP reaches multigenerational audiences, and this is the perfect place where people near and far can come together to not only support the museum and its programs but also celebrate the legacy that my husband left behind, not only in Seattle but around the world.”

MoPOP’s artistic director Jasen Emmons said: “MoPOP is honoured to receive this gift from Vicky Cornell and pay tribute to one of the most powerful and important voices in popular music. MoPOP serves to celebrate the Seattle music scene and the luminaries who have emerged from the Northwest and Chris was a key figure who has made a lasting impact on generations worldwide.”

Last month, Cornell’s estate announced a new career-spanning box set will be released later this year. The 62-track release will feature solo work from the artist as well as tracks by Temple Of The Dog, Soundgarden, and Audioslave.