"This kid, he just loved music"

Childish Gambino paid tribute to Miller at his Chicago show this weekend – honouring the late rapper for his “love of music”.

Miller, real name Malcolm McCormick, was found unresponsive at noon on September 7 at his San Fernando Valley home. Whilst no official cause of death has yet been released, Miller is believed to have died from an apparent overdose.

Among the many figures to pay tribute to Miller, Donald Glover delivered a hearfelt speech on Saturday (September 8) – but asked fans not to film so as not to “commodify this moment.”

“I’m a very sensitive person… but this Mac Miller shit got me fucked up,” he said, as Rolling Stone reports. “He was so nice. He was the sweetest guy, he was so nice. And we were both internet music kids, and a lot of critics were like, ‘This corny-ass white dude, this corny-ass black dude,’ and we used to talk. And this kid, he just loved music.”

He added that people “should be allowed to be sad about it”, saying: “my heart was broken… and I feel good about being sad because it tells me that he was special, that I had a special moment… Everybody in this room deserves that.”

He also dedicated his song ‘Riot’ to the late star. “So I just wanna say ‘I love you, Mac, and I just want to tell you that I love you and this song is for him because I feel like sometimes he wanted to let go,” he said before performing the track.

Miller’s former girlfriend Ariana Grande was also among those to pay tribute, by sharing a tender photo of the late rapper.