Cher worried fans with a slew of angry posts on Twitter.com on Tuesday night (01March16).

The 69-year-old singer is known for using the social media network to air her views on anything from politics to her love of make-up. Her latest messages, however, appeared to have a darker undertone when Cher accused someone of selling a story about her.

The exact details behind the tirade are as yet unknown, but Cher kicked things off by claiming the story seller had been fuelled by an obsession with her best friend Paulette Howell.

"BECAUSE OF OBSESSION W/PAULIETTE UR GOING2 OBLITERATE ME," Cher wrote. "RUIN MY 51 YRS OF WORK.WE KNOW TRUTH.HE WAS ANGRY& LYING.PPL WONT (heart emoji) U 4 KILLING ME (sic).

"1 Obsessed Hater's gone 2enquirer w/Stories About me.. Gut wrenching (heartbroken emoji) &UNTRUE. Family fights r bad,
Ours was horrible.I AM WHO I SAY I AM.

"U said u'd make us pay. I just never thought someone would be so obsessed with My Friend that they would try & DESTROY ME."

Cher then continued to allege that her son had been involved in the sale of the story. While she didn't indicate which of her two children she was referring to, she has a difficult relationship with son Elijah Blue Allman, leading fans to believe she was talking about him. Cher also has son Chaz Bono, who was born as a girl called Chastity.

"My son was furious with me & May have Written (Doctored?) scathing,Twts/Txts‼️person got'em&SOLD'em 2rag mag (sic)," Cher wrote. "She told us pain was coming."

The singer concluded her rant by posting a screenshot of messages she had received from a fan account on Twitter, including "You see me & my tweets. It's all because of Paulette" and "All of this drama started when Paulette got social media and you know it". She captioned the screenshot: "Is this a fan".