Chance the Rapper: 'My daughter for President'

On her Beats 1 show Julie played Chance the Rapper’s full show from Apple Music Festival last week and aired her and Ebro’s interview with him. Chance talked through approaching the crowds at his shows, performing at the White House and on knowing Barack and Michelle Obama for 10 years.

On playing AMF with a couple of shows coming in London:
This was a little bit different than the tour I’ve been on for 8 dates. That was a little taste of what’s to come.

On how he approaches the crowd at every show:
Every night is gonna be different and everybody’s playing in the band and put together the show are feeling different every night so I like to test the waters and touch the people, see what sides of the crowd are screaming the most and jumping the most, which groups of people are closer together, then I can properly approach parts of the room.

On the difference between US and UK crowds:
It’s definitely always love in the UK. If you can smile all the time and there’s rainy days then you’ve just been through more than most people.

On Chance returning to the White House to perform:
It’s a tremendous responsibility. I went to the White House once recently to a party there and indulged on the Hennessy. I feel like this next time because it’s a professional thing, a private performance, like you said there's going to be super affluent people I won’t be 'I’m drunk let’s get a selfie Chance,’ I’ll have a very strong handshake. I’m on business.

On knowing Barack and Michelle Obama for 10 years:
I actually didnt meet FLOTUS until this last party I was at. She came up to me. Being from Chicago everybody is a cousin or a coworker apart from everybody. Everybody knows everybody. I grew up with a buch of kids that knew Sasha and Malia they were a big younger than me. My dad worked on campaigns for him. that’s always been a guy for me I worked an internship for my dad I had to bring coffee to the office, phone banking, I’d be in his offices and saw him once, but since I got older and this recent time, I got picked to go to the White House one time with Nicki Minaj and J Cole and all these people and had a talk about My Brother’s Keeper and linking and building more non-profits, the second time I was drunk at the party, and now I’m gonna go in there and rap.

On what year he’s going to run for President:
I probably wouldn’t run for President, but in the way way future, run my daughter for President. Campaign managing runs in my family.