“I apologize to all of his survivors for working with him."

Chance The Rapper has apologised for working with R.Kelly, after an audio clip saw him claiming describing their collaboration as a “mistake.”

The latest episode of Surviving R Kelly aired on Saturday night and featured a brief snippet of the ‘Coloring Book’ rapper expressing his regret over a 2015 collaboration with Kelly – who has previously denied widespread allegations of sexual misconduct.

But after the episode finished, Chance claimed that the clip had been taken out of context and described his regret over working with Kelly.

“[T]he truth is any of us who ever ignored the R Kelly stories, or ever believed he was being setup/attacked by the system (as black men often are) were doing so at the detriment of black women and girls,” he wrote. “I apologize to all of his survivors for working with him and for taking this long to speak out.”

In the documentary, Chance had admitted that he initially “didn’t value” the stories of the women who have accused Kelly of sexual violence, before describing how he had seen the error of his ways.

“We’re programmed to really be hypersensitive to black male oppression,” he explained.

“But black women are exponentially [a] higher oppressed and violated group of people just in comparison to the whole world. Maybe I didn’t care because I didn’t value the accusers’ stories because they were black women. Usually, n****s that get in trouble for shit like this on their magnitude of celebrity, it’s light-skinned women or white women. That’s when it’s a big story. I’ve never really seen any pictures of R. Kelly’s accusers.”

Chance later added: “I made a mistake and I’m happy that those women are getting voices now and I can grow to understand better what my positioning should be or should’ve been when that opportunity came.”

Meanwhile, the same documentary saw a friend of the late Aaliyah alleging that Kelly had underage sex with her – a claim that Aaliyah’s mother has vehemently denied.