Cee Lo Green has "truly and deeply" apologised for Twitter comments he made about rape.

On Friday the 40-year-old singer pleaded no contest to giving a woman the drug ecstasy. The female claimed she had dined with Cee Lo at a sushi restaurant in 2012 and later woke up naked in his bed, but had no memory of what happened in between. The musician's lawyer insisted the pair had "consensual relations" and no rape charges were filed due to lack of evidence.

Earlier this week the star posted a number of remarks about rape on Twitter including: "If someone is passed out they're not even WITH you consciously! so WITH Implies consent (sic)."

The comments caused uproar and Cee Lo eventually deleted his social networking account, although it has now been reinstated and he has addressed what happened.

"I truly and deeply apologise for the comments attributed to me on Twitter. Those comments were idiotic, untrue and not what I believe (sic)," he wrote.

None of the comments are still present on his Twitter page, although many sites have posted screen grabs of them.

It appears Cee Lo was discussing his felony case with others when he made the offensive statements.

"When someone brakes on a home there is broken glass where is your plausible proof that anyone was raped," he wrote.

"So if I tried but did not succeed but the person said I did then what really happened? (sic)."

It seems the star quickly realised he had caused offence as he posted an apology before deactivating his account.

"Let me 1st praise god for exoneration fairness & freedom! Secondly I sincerely apologize for my comments being taken so far out of context," he stated.

"I only intended on a healthy exchange to help heal those who love me from the pain I had already caused from this. Please forgive me as it... was your support that got me thru this to begin with. I'd never condone the harm of any women. Thank you (sic)."

Following his court hearing on Friday Cee Lo was sentenced to three years' probation and 45 days community service.