The star has been talking about the track for a while

BTS member Jimin has surprised fans with the release of his first self-composed solo song, ‘Promise’.

The singer shared the track earlier today (December 30), putting it up for free download on the Korean boyband’s Soundcloud page.

On the group’s Twitter account, Jimin wrote: “Everyone, you’ve been waiting long for a long time, yes? I have finally dropped my self-produced track. This is a song for myself but this is also a song for you guys. This is my first time, so it’s a bit raw, but please listen to it. Thank you ARMYs for having waited patiently.”

‘Promise’ was composed by Jimin and Slow Rabbit, who also produced and arranged the track, while his bandmate RM is also credited as a co-writer for the song’s lyrics. Jimin has spoken about releasing his own song in various broadcasts in the past, including on the latest series of BTS’ travel reality show Bon Voyage.

The singer is the latest member of the K-pop group to put out his own music. Leader RM has shared two mixtapes – his self-titled 2015 release and October’s ‘mono.’ – while J-Hope and Suga have both put out their own mixtapes too with ‘Hope World’ and ‘Agust D’ respectively. V and Jin have also released music outside of the band, contributing to the soundtrack of K-drama show Hwarang.

Meanwhile, Jin revealed earlier this month the group had considered “disbanding” earlier this year. He shared the news during the band’s acceptance speech for Best Artist at the 2018 Mnet Asian Music Awards in Hong Kong.

Fans of the band will be able to watch footage from their recent tour in support of latest album trilogy ‘Love Yourself’ in cinemas for one day next month. The Love Yourself In Seoul concert film will be shown in cinemas across the UK and worldwide on January 26.

It follows the release of November’s Burn The Stage documentary, which followed BTS on their 2017 Wings tour and gave fans a behind-the-scenes look at the highs and lows of the band’s journey.