The winner will be announced on Friday December 7

The shortlist for the BRITs Critics’ Choice 2019 award has been announced.

The award, which recognises “the future stars of British recording talent”, has previously been given to the likes of Adele (2008), Florence and The Machine (2009), Emeli Sandé (2012), Sam Smith (2014) and Rag’n’Bone Man (2017). Jorja Smith took home the trophy last year.

This year’s Critics’ Choice prize will be awarded to one of the three following nominees: Sam Fender, Mahalia and Lewis Capaldi.

The three artists were chosen by an expert team which included music editors of national newspapers, music and lifestyle magazines, music websites and heads of music at major radio and music TV stations. The winner will be announced on Friday December 7.

The award is specifically aimed at championing British artists who have not yet achieved a Top 40 album success (as of 31st October of this year).

Lewis Capaldi is a hotly-tipped Scottish singer songwriter who recently sold out show at London’s Shepherds Bush Empire. The West Lothian songwriter recently chatted to NME about touring, tweeting and his love of Paolo Nutini.

Mahalia is the 20-year old Leicester R&B singer who signed a record deal aged 13 to Atlantic. She has since lived up to that early promise with a successful streak of singles, including ‘Sober’ and ‘I Wish I Missed My Ex’,with NME describing her as “R&B to burn pictures of your shitty ex to.”

Rising Tyneside singer-songwriter Sam Fender recently signed to Polydor and his track ‘Dead Boys’ track was named as Annie Mac’s ‘Hottest Record In The World’. He spoke to NME about mental health and tackling ‘toxic masculinity’ within his music.

The winner of the Critics’ Choice award will be presented with the prize during a special ceremony on December 4, with the winner set to receive the Anish Kapoor designed award, that was debuted last year.

The BRIT Awards 2019 with Mastercard will be broadcast live on ITV on Wednesday 20th February from The O2 Arena, London.