The production will imagine what Juliet might have done had she not met her end in William Shakespeare's tragedy

Songwriter and producer Max Martin has announced a new musical called & Juliet, which is based on the titular heroine from William Shakespeare’s tragedy Romeo & Juliet.

Martin’s work in songwriting and production has enjoyed great success over the years, with the likes of Britney Spears‘ ‘… Baby One More Time’, the Backstreet Boys‘ ‘I Want It That Way’ and The Weeknd‘s ‘I Can’t Feel My Face’ just some of his career highlights.

All three of those tracks and more from Martin’s extensive pop back catalogue will feature in & Juliet, which has been written by David West Read. The musical, according to London Theatre, will “follow Shakespeare’s Juliet (played by Miriam Teak Lee) who is getting over Romeo by escaping to Paris with Nurse and her best friends”.

& Juliet will debut with a limited season in Manchester from September 10, before it opens at London’s Shaftesbury Theatre from November 2 (an opening night will be held on November 20). Tickets for & Juliet go on sale on February 11.

Back in August, Dua Lipa revealed that she had been working with Martin on her upcoming second album. “His attention to detail and the way he writes songs, there is a kind of theory to the pop and the way I write songs is very spontaneous,” she said. “It was interesting to work and learn from someone who is so amazing and so inspiring that’s done this for many, many years.”