"There is a wee subtle message here, from our homeland critics"

Brian May has accused British critics of sending a subtle message that Bohemian Rhapsody is not worthy of its recent awards success, despite being nominated for seven BAFTAs.

The Queen guitarist congratulated Rami Malek on his BAFTA nomination for ‘Leading Actor’ via Instagram yesterday (January 10) but was quick to point out the film’s glaring omission from the ‘Best Film’ category days after it won the equivalent accolade at the Golden Globes.

He wrote alongside a photo of Malek, who won ‘Best Actor’ at the Globes for his portrayal of Freddie Mercury: “Nominated for BAFTA(s) ! Hoorah ! I think there is a wee subtle message here, from our homeland critics, which I’m sure some people will be smiling about. But I will refrain from comment ! 😌 !! Thanks guys ! And – Go Rami !!”

The musician did list the remaining nominations, some of which include best cinematography, editing, and costume design, but lamented Lucy Aspen’s (Mary Austin) snub from both the ‘Leading’ and ‘Supporting actress’ categories.

He was also disappointed to learn that the film wasn’t nomination for special effects.

“I can only conclude that these people don’t really understand what was achieved by our team. There are no explosions or rocket ships, but the re-creation of Wembley Stadium as it was in 1985 is a massive triumph.” he wrote.

This week it was revealed that Bohemian Rhapsody’s rating of just 62% on Rotten Tomatoes makes it the least favourably-rated movie to win Best Picture at the Golden Globes since romantic drama Out Of Africa in 1986. The 1986 film is just behind at 60%.