"I hope we show it again so somebody can tell who the miserable Jock is and what he’s ever done”

BBC Politics host Andrew Neil has described Primal Scream’s Bobby Gillespie as a “miserable jock”, after the pair shared an awkward TV appearance.

The frontman appeared on Neil’s This Week last month, where he spoke of an apparent lack of “progress” in society and the headache of Brexit negotiations.

Gillespie also went viral after refusing to join in with the show’s ending, which saw Labour MP Caroline Flint and former Tory politician Michael Portillo performing the ‘skibidi’ dance craze’.

“I hope we show it again so somebody can tell who the miserable Jock is and what he’s ever done,” Neil has now responded to one user on Twitter. “Other than scowl and spout Corbynista propaganda from his fancy Islington pad.”

For his part, Gillespie had previously described Neil as “rude & smug”.

“I was immediately cut off by Andrew Neil who quickly handed the question over to Michael Portillo,” he wrote on his appearance on Instagram.

“I never got to say what I fully wanted, my impression was that Andrew Neil sensed an alternative opinion that he didn’t want to hear and closed me down. I found him to be arrogant, rude & smug.”

At the time of the appearance, Neil had been somewhat more diplomatic in his explanation.

He said of Gillespie in October: “The purpose of the final item on @bbcthisweek is to get away from party politics and ideology and have a bit of fun. I’m afraid Mr Gillespie fulfilled neither criterion.”

Although Bobby Gillespie is yet to respond to Neil’s latest criticism, his latest tweet was shared on the band’s official Instagram.

Earlier this month, Primal Scream also posted artwork that depicts a demon version of BBC presenter Andrew Neil stalking Bobby Gillespie.