"I’m just a teen having fun in life, I leave all that other stuff to the adults"

Fortnite are being sued by ‘the Backpack Kid’ for using his popular dance move ‘The Floss’ in the game without permission.

Yesterday, it was reported that Epic Games are facing legal action for allegedly stealing the ‘Carlton dance’ from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Actor Alfonso Ribeiro – who portrayed the character in the ’90s sitcom – filed a suit after players could purchase an ’emote’ or a dance called ‘Fresh’, which characters can perform as a celebration within the game.

Now, 17-year-old Russell Horning – aka the Backpack Kid made famous by appearing with Katy Perry on SNL – has accused Fortnite of breaching copyright by including his famous ‘flossing’ move.

Speaking to TMZ, Horning said that his mother and management are handling the lawsuit as they believe Fortnite are “taking advantage” of the teenager.

“Me personally, I don’t really care about the money like that,” he told the publication, adding that he’s “more worried about my birthday tomorrow” and his upcoming new music.

Questioned on whether others using the dance without permission could also face legal action, Horning responded: “I don’t really know if I can sue everybody, but my mum and my manager, they just think that Fortnite is who’s really taking advantage of me.”

Posting on Instagram to his 2.3 million followers, Horning said of the suit: “I’m just a teen having fun in life, I leave all that other stuff to the adults.”

After ‘The Floss’ became popular in 2016, the Backpack Kid was invited to appear on an episode of Saturday Night Live the following year – unleashing the dance during Katy Perry’s performance of ‘Swish Swish’.

Meanwhile, in addition to the Backpack Kid and Alfonso Ribeiro, last week saw New York rapper 2 Milly sue Fortnite for allegedly profiting from a dance that he created.

Fortnite has come under fire in recent months for the apparent appropriation of various dances as purchasable player emotes. Similarities have been drawn between BlocBoy JB’s ‘shoot’ dance and the moves from Snoop Dogg’s ‘Drop It Like It’s Hot’.