ABBA, Roxette, Ace of Base, Avicii; you can now add Tove Styrke to the honour roll of Swedish pop stars who have captivated Australian music fans.

Styrke is the latest female singer and songwriter to make waves on the global music scene alongside a raft of Scandinavian chart-toppers including Tove Lo, Zara Larsson and Icona Pop.

Her edgy electro pop songs including Say My Name, Mistakes and Changed My Mind have accumulated millions of streams while chart-toppers including Sam Smith and The Chainsmokers are among those singing her praises.

She was shocked to discover a selfie-seeking fan at Sydney Airport when she arrived on Sunday for her first shows here, even as she has been fielding dozens of messages from music lovers in Australia.

“I’ve known about this connection between Sweden and Australia because I had a bunch of friends who moved here after school and stuck around for a long time,” she said.

“I think because we have a similar mentality, our culture of music is also tied together.”

Styrke’s prodigious talent was obvious in her teen years, following up her star turn on Swedish Idol at 16 with her debut solo album at 17.
Swedish pop star Tove Styrke is here for her debut Australian shows.

As she prepares to release her third album Sway, the 25-year-old artist has just finished touring with Lorde in America and about to head out with Katy Perry for her European shows.

New Zealand pop genre buster Lorde tapped Styrke after hearing the Swedish singer cover her song Liability.

While the opening night on Lorde’s tour didn’t go to plan thanks to a technical malfunction which ironically impressed thousands of American fans.

“It was the first time I have ever played in an arena and two minutes in, I felt something was not right,” she said.

“I took out my inner-ear (monitors) and could hear all that was coming out was my voice, no music.

“Now all the fans know my voice is real, that I sing live.”

Tove Styrke performs at the Oxford Art Factory in Sydney on Tuesday and Howler in Melbourne on Thursday.

Sway is released on May 4.