The pop star has been criticised for speaking to the TV presenter after he bodyshamed Little Mix

Ariana Grande has responded to a backlash from fans after it was revealed she had spoken to Piers Morgan in person.

The pop star and the TV presenter had a heated exchange on Twitter last year after Morgan criticised Little Mix for posing nude in a music video and accused them of using nudity to sell records.

On Wednesday (February 20), the controversial Good Morning Britain host surprised Grande’s fans when he tweeted: “Thank u for a great night @arianaGrande x”. The singer responded: “Thank u for some laughs and some v productive conversation ! It was nice bumping into u ! #FutureFeministPiers #FingersCrossed”.

Her followers immediately began to react to the conversation, with many asking her what was going on and others asking her if she’d been hacked. Grande replied to one fan saying she had bumped into Morgan at a restaurant and had “decided to sit with him” to have a chat.

“I think some progress was made!” She said. “turns out face to face discussions are a bit kinder and gentler, even if you do indeed disagree. ”.

But Twitter users weren’t satisfied with the explanation, with her tweet only intensifying the backlash. After a fan reminded her that Morgan had body shamed Little Mix, she replied saying they had spoken about that. “I am a peaceful but passionate person and I will kindly say everything on my mind to a person’s face if I have the chance. Which I did. I don’t understand what is so evil about having conversations w people. In what world did I excuse what he has said?”

When one fan called her “complacent”, she rejected their claim and reminded them that no one else had heard their conversation. “it saddens me that u’d assume that just because I have hope that a person can change,” she tweeted. “I won’t stop having conversations w people I disagree w when I see the opportunity to. Hope u would’ve done the same.”

Grande later added that she hadn’t managed to change Morgan’s views. “do people think I succeeded and that I’m some kind of fucking miracle worker?” She wrote. “fuck no. are u all insane? Bruh I just wanted to try. And speak my mind. I try my best to have faith in people. As hard as it is. Anyway……. Goodnight.”

Meanwhile, the star recently became the first artist since The Beatles to take all three top spots on the US Billboard chart. Tracks from her new album ‘Thank U, Next’ claimed the places in the Hot 100, with ‘7 Rings’, ‘Break Up With Your Girlfriend’ and the record’s title track dominating the chart.