The rapper wore a silk Gucci scarf on his head to a gala event in Los Angeles

A$AP Rocky wore a Gucci “grandma” scarf to a gala in LA and it’s dividing the internet.

The rapper turned up to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art’s Eighth Annual Art + Film gala this weekend with the floral silk scarf wrapped around his head.

“I just wanted to show off my babushka today, honestly,” Dazed quotes him as saying, using the Russian word for “grandma” to refer to his headwear.

“I thought it was so immaculate,” he added. “And I feel like I look so handsome right now with the shades on. I’m just encouraging all guys to wear babushkas from here on out. Silk gang, silk city. You know how we do it.”

Some fans online have praised Rocky’s latest fashion move. “If asap wants to wear a scarf on his head then let him,” one Twitter user wrote. “Kanye west walks around with shoulders as big a family size dinner table and no one mentioned it. Asap wears something that is seen as feminine and everyone jumps on the toxic mascinity train.”

“i like that asap still looks hot wearing the same scarf my nana used to wear,” another added. “ASAP Rocky gonna have every dude in Harlem stealing their Grandma scarves,” tweeted another.

Not everyone was as enamoured with the look, however. “you already know asap rocky got destroyed in his group chat for that headass scarf he wore,” wrote one commentator. Another said: “People calling this guy a style icon for years. He’s a fucking clown.”

Earlier this year, Idris Elba teased that he could collaborate with Rocky in either music or acting. “I love A$AP, he’s a good soul,” he said. “And every time we meet each other we’re like, ‘Let’s work.’

“He wants to act,” Elba added of the rapper. “He does act. I want to do music. So we just collaborate and we nearly made it happen. Skepta is a good friend also, and they connect. So we’re just in a circle where there’s a possibility. There’s no ‘no’s’ in this game.”

Rocky released his latest album, ‘Testing‘, in May. The record featured appearances from Blood Orange, Moby, FKA Twigs, and more. The latter recently appeared with him in the new video for ‘Fukk Sleep’.