Alicia Keys prides herself on being "restless and curious".

The 33-year-old singer is married to musician Swizz Beatz and they have son Egypt, three, together plus another baby on the way. Although she feels very settled in terms of her home life, Alicia doesn't allow that to make her complacent.

"I'm genuinely a positive person and I make it a point to learn from every experience, whether good or bad. I'm a little restless and curious in that I want to constantly explore everything life has to offer," she told British magazine Hello! "And through that exploration I've found that the best life has to offer is right in front of me, with my husband and child."

The star is currently working on new music, which is always a fun time for her. She is excited to see what fans make of what she's creating; teasing she feels many will be shocked by her new sound.

"Right now, I'm working on a new album and that has captured a lot of my focus. I'm so excited. I'm really looking forward to beginning to share this new music with the world in the coming months. It's crazy and my favourite yet," she laughed.

The star was also quizzed on what inspires her in the studio and she found it hard to give a set answer. Not because she doesn't take things from those she admires, but rather because she looks up to so many people.

"There are so many, in so many different genres: Nina Simone, Prince, Patrice Rushen, Nas, Wu-Tang Clan, Erik Satie, Chopin, Marian McPartland... I can go on and on. I feel very blessed to live in this time where we can connect to so many sources of inspiration," she said.