"It was great but we’ve done it," the frontman said

The 1975‘s Matty Healy has spoken about the state of guitar music and punk and says that to him, women are the ones making it interesting.

The frontman was talking about the mini-beef with Idles back in August, when he said, in an interview, “There are no big bands who are doing anything as interesting as us right now”.

Now in NME’s Big Read, Healy has expanded on what he meant by that statement. “I don’t want to try to do some truce between us because we are not battling with each other, but I know that some misrepresentation of where I come from has been presented to them, whether that’s in my control or not.”

Healy then discussed the state of guitar music. “The interesting things for me in, let’s say ‘guitar music’, it’s pretty much women now. Look at who’s signed to my label [Dirty Hit, home to Wolf Alice, Japanese House].”

“People get confused, they can’t understand why a lad their age wouldn’t be wanting to be in The Courteeners or be in a punk band more than my band. It’s because it’s done, lads, it’s done. We’ve done it. It was great but we’ve done it.

“It’s like, white men shouting has been done so many times and the interesting perspective in punk is where women are. But that’s why there are interesting bands like Idles who deal with stuff like fragility and toxic masculinity. If there’s meaning, it’ll resonate.”

This week, The 1975’s latest album ‘A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships’ was crowned NME’s album of the year. IDLES’ ‘Joy As An Act Of Resistance’ came in at number three.

Meanwhile, a previously unreleased song by The 1975 called ‘102’ will go on sale this weekend in London. The band’s label, Dirty Hit, will be be selling the song on cassette at the Independent Label Market which takes place at King’s Cross’ Canopy Market.