“I just saw it as sexy"

Matty Healy has discussed how his earliest experiences of kissing proved to shape his sexuality and impressions of masculinity.

The 1975 frontman says that he “vividly” remembers the moment he saw two dancers kissing backstage at a show starring his mother Denise Welch.

“The first passionate kiss I saw was between two blokes,” he told Shortlist. “I remember it vividly.”

“How intimate it was, and I wanted that intimacy. It was an erotic and sexual presentation to do in front of a child, now I think of it. I just saw it as sexy. As a kid, if you see two grown-ups kiss properly, you’re a bit like: ‘What’s that? What’s that feeling? I didn’t know we did that with each other.’ I think my perceived ideas of masculinity stem from my first idea of sexuality.”

Discussing how it shaped his own experiences, he said: “Well, you can look at whether sexuality is a social construct – which, of course, it isn’t. But when I was a kid most of the people [around me] who were successful and doing what they wanted to do were gay.

“I associated that freedom of self with freedom of expression. I think I looked up to them, not as pariahs or outsiders, but as people who were truly themselves. I’ve always found that engaging.”

Healy added: “I’ve thought: ‘Maybe it’s unusual to be as flamboyant as I am, or unusual to be as in the gay world as I am… What does that mean? Am I a bit gay?’ And then I was, like, ‘No, that’s not how it works! It comes down to who you want to fuck.”

The 1975 release new album ‘A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships‘ on November 30. A UK arena tour follows next year. Visit here for tickets and more information.

Meanwhile, it was recently confirmed that The 1975 will play a tiny album release show at Kingston’s PRYZM for Banquet Records’ New Slang night on November 29. Visit here for tickets and more information.