Microsoft recently released Windows 10 cumulative update KB3140743 to push version number to 10586.22, and while the company recommended all users to install it as soon as possible, it appears that a number of users are unable to do so.

If you’re one of the first Windows 10 adopters, you probably know that Microsoft has rolled out such cumulative updates every once in a while in order to patch bugs and improve the performance of the operating system. Furthermore, because they are cumulative updates, they include all the previously released fixes, so it’s very clear that they play an important role for Windows 10 users.
But almost each and every one of these cumulative updates experienced various installation errors that made it impossible for certain users to install them and thus benefit from the latest improvements released by Microsoft.
No manual installation workaround KB3140743 makes no exception, and according to posts online, it fails to install with the exact same behavior as its predecessors: installation starts just like for any other update but then fails to complete, and when you attempt to log back into Windows, it undoes all changes.
“I cannot seem to update my computer via KB3140743. I have tried doing this from Windows Update and the standalone installer. It appears that it is working but when I restart the computer it eventually says that the update failed to install and undoes whatever changes it has made. I am not sure where to look to get more information. The other update that came today did install (KB3139907),” one user whose computer got hit by the installation bug explains on Windows10Forums.
Previously, one possible way to get around this bug was to manually install the update and thus skip the automatic deployment that’s said to be causing the problems, but it appears that this method fails to make any difference this time too.