Right on schedule, Microsoft has announced the new Surface Pro 6 which, while similar to the previous-generation device on the outside, brings some significant upgrades internally.

Kicking things off with arguably the most important detail, the newest Surface Pro model can support processors with up to four cores. Specifically, the entry-level model is set to ship with the eight-generation Intel Core i5, although if customers wish to they can upgrade to the i7 chip. In any case, both of these are coupled with an improved cooling system that, when combined together, permits a huge performance gain of 67% over the outgoing model and a battery life of up to 13.5 hours. Elsewhere on the spec sheet is the choice of either 8GB or 16GB of RAM. Also, it’s worth noting that, while the base model ships with 128GB of internal storage, this can rise to 1TB depending on the options chosen.

As mentioned above, the external design of the Surface Pro 6 remains largely unchanged thanks to the trademark hinge and aluminum casing. However, Microsoft has used the opportunity to update the 12.3-inch PixelSense display – it now offers the highest level of contrast ever seen on a Surface Pro tablet. Another detail is the fact that the company has included an 8-megapixel autofocusing camera that is designed for video chatting and Windows Hello logins.

In regards to a release, the Surface Pro 6 is available to pre-order today and will begin shipping on October 16. As previously leaked, the device will be available in a new matte Black color, in addition to the usual Platinum variant. Lastly, when it comes to pricing, the Intel Core i5 model starts at $899. Also, the keyboard is still an optional accessory that costs $129 and is available in Black, Burgundy, Cobalt Blue, and Platinum.