Opera Software revealed yesterday that it will make an announcement soon about something the company just calls R2 at the moment.

The announcement on the Opera blog reveals little about what R2 could actually be, and the official R2 page on the Opera website does not reveal anything of substance either.

Interested users can sign up on the R2 page to be among the first to be invited to the R2 online event.

The entire message on the Opera blog reads:

Hello,

Some of you may have spotted our new web page where you can sign up to be notified about something new coming soon from Opera.

Today, we have decided to unveil a tiny bit of the mystery, but just enough to keep you interested. If you sign up here, you will be among the first people to be invited to the R2 online event.

We are very excited to share further details with you soon, and we hope you are eager to see what’s coming. We also plan to reveal more about the upcoming event in our social media channels, so make sure to follow us there.

Your Opera Team

While I'm not a fan of announcements of upcoming announcements, something that I see far to often nowadays, I would like to share two theories about Opera R2.

The first, and most likely explanation, is that Opera R2 refers to a second phase of Opera Reborn. Opera revealed Reborn back in February of 2017 when it revealed a new design for the Opera web browser.

Opera Reborn was no complete overhaul of the browser but a gradual change to a modern design that did not turn the browser's interface upside down.

Another possible explanation for R2, albeit one that think is not very likely, is that Opera is about to release the successor of the mail client M2. I don't think it is likely because Opera would have given the project a different codename, probably.

Closing Words

We will soon know what R2 is. My bet is on the second stage of Opera Reborn which would mean that Opera Software will launch a new version of Opera with a modified design soon.