Microsoft released the two updates KB4134661 and KB4134660 for Windows 10 version 1703 and Windows 10 version 1709 yesterday.

The two updates have the same description:

This Windows update provides a notification of an improved privacy experience on upgrade to the Windows 10 April 2018 release.

Microsoft provides no further explanation on the update. The updates have a size of about 230 Kilobytes only, and are distributed through Windows Update to all machines running Windows 10 version 1703 or 1709.

Windows users can run a manual check for updates to download and install the update on supported PCs.

1. Use the shortcut Windows-I to open the Settings application.
  2. Go to Update & Security.
  3. Click on the "check for updates" button.

Windows 10 should pick up the new update and install it on the target device. The update is available as a standalone download and installation on the Microsoft Update Catalog website as well.

Click on one of the following links to jump to the listing on Microsoft's download website:

• KB4134661 on Microsoft Update Catalog website.
  • KB4134660 on Microsoft Update Catalog website.

The updates are standalone updates and not cumulative. They don't change the build of the Windows installation or include previously released updates.

Microsoft's description is vague and it is not clear right now what these updates do when they are installed. The most likely explanation is that they inform users about the improved privacy options during setup which Microsoft added to Windows 10 version 1803.

Microsoft added two new switches to the privacy options during Windows 10 Setup: Find my device and improve inking & typing. Find my device uses the device's location data to inform you where it is in case you misplaced it or in cases where it has been stolen. Improve inking & typing on the other hand defines whether inking and typing data is submitted to Microsoft.

The description suggests that the update is not essential when it comes to the upgrade experience to Windows 10 version 1803 as it appears to add no fixes for existing issues.

I suggest that you wait with the installation of KB4134661 and KB4134660 to see if they introduce any new bugs or issues. You may also want to wait running the upgrade to Windows 10 version 1803 as the new version is riddled with bugs right now. It does not play well with certain Solid State Drives, and has a huge number of other issues and bugs that Microsoft has yet to address.