KeePass 2.38 is the latest version of the password manager. It features minor improvements and fixes for the most part.

Whenever someone asks me if I use a password manager, I answer that I use KeePass. I have plenty of reasons for using KeePass and not one of the available online password managers. Most important for me is that I have full control over the database file. It is not hosted somewhere on the Internet, and there are any data transfers between remote servers and my work PC.

Sure, KeePass has some limitations. Sync requires manual setup if you need it, and it is officially only available for Windows. You can get around most of the limitations, for example by unofficial ports or set up a custom sync operation.

KeePass 2.38

KeePass supports an update check but not automatic updates. You need to visit the official project website to download and install the program manually.

KeePass 2.38 installs an empty languages folder during installation, and the portable version comes with the folder as well. It is used to store language files if you require them.

KeePass users find new and handy “open folder” buttons when they open the languages or plugins manager in the program. The buttons open the local folder directly for easier access and managing.

Plugins extend the password manager in various ways. The official plugin repository lists plugins that add backup, synchronization, or import capabilities to the program. Languages, on the other hand, change the interface language.

Here is a list of other changes in KeePass 2.38:

• Printing improvements — Specify placeholder behavior, group notes inclusions, improved embedding of CSS, spaces in passwords are encoded as non-breaking spaces and enhanced UI updating in print dialog.
  • Runtime Activation Policy setting — Improves compatibility with Microsoft User Experience Virtualization.
  • UI Scaling — Improvements when using KeePass on systems with different DPI values.
  • Fixes and workarounds: Microsoft Office and Mono workarounds.
  • Other changes: Improved fatal error handling, KPScript improvements, and code optimizations.

KeePass 2.38 is not a massive release with a host of new features, but that is not necessary in my opinion as there is little that can be improved or added to the password manager.

Closing Words