The 3-in-one comes with a docking station for desktop mode
Gigabyte is adding a new 11.6-inch convertible laptop to its U-series ultrabook line, the company said Thursday. Powered by a 4th generation Intel Core i5 processor, the U21MD, as the upcoming device is called, sports a capacitive multitouch panel capable of being rotated 180 degrees.

When you first look at the U21MD, “new” is hardly the word that springs to mind, given its striking resemblance to the company’s U2142 two-in-one ultrabook. The U21MD is essentially the U2142, but with a Haswell processor instead of an Ivy Bridge part. Also, unlike its predecessor, the new U21MD is not just limited to doubling as a tablet. Thanks to its D21 docking station, the 0.78-inches thick, 3-lbs heavy ultrabook can also be used as a desktop PC.

“To turn the U21MD into a desktop, simply slot the laptop into the docking station(D21) and connect peripheral devices, including a monitor, keyboard and mouse,” the Taiwanese PC vendor said in a press release Thursday. “You won't need to plug and unplug I/O ports repeatedly anymore! The D21 also provides excellent connectivity options such as HDMI, USB, and internet. Plug it in the D21, and enjoy your personal multimedia center.”

The 3-in-one U21MD packs a Core i5-4200U 1.6-2.6GHz CPU, 1366x768 LCD, up to 16GB RAM, up to 1.5TB storage (512GB mSATA SSD plus 1TB HDD), 1.3MP camera, 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth V4.0 + LE and 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet. Other specs include two USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports, HDMI-out, RJ45, Mic-in, Earphone-out, SD card reader, SIM card slot, and last but not the least, the all-important DC-in Jack Docking port.

The D21 docking station comes with two USB 2.0 ports, three USB 3.0 ports, HDMI1.4a, RJ45, Mic-in, Headphone-out and docking connector. Further, the dock also packs 30mm speaker drivers.