The latest system update released by Microsoft for the Surface Book indeed corrects a number of issues with the ultimate laptop, but it appears that it’s also causing some new ones, including a bug that doesn’t correctly detect the keyboard status.

Posts on Microsoft’s Community forums, which started appearing after the February update and still continue to be published these days, indicate that even when the keyboard is attached to the tablet, Windows 10 still flags it as “detached.”

“After installing system updates on 02/17/16 for Windows 10, the Surface Detach icon in the taskbar is grayed out and when I mouse over it, it says ‘Surface Detach: Detached’ when it's actually attached and connected to the keyboard. Keyboard works fine but when I try to detach, I have to hold the keyboard detach button for over 10 seconds before the light turns green and I hear the detach sound,” one user explained.
Furthermore, it appears that removing the keyboard also breaks down the auto-rotation system, so if you detach the keyboard and then want to the use tablet, it no longer detects its position.
Possible workarounds Posts in the same discussion thread reveal that disabling the antivirus solution running on your computer could help - if you have such software, as Windows Defender doesn’t seem to have any impact on the Surface Book.
Others explain that it’s all because of the process called Surface DTX, so the solution is to enter the Task Manager, look for this process and kill it. Then look in the Startup tab, disable, and enable the process back. Reboot the device, and everything should be back to normal.
Obviously, there’s no guarantee that this is going to work, but since it’s already March 14, Microsoft is expected to release a new system update anytime soon, so hopefully these bugs will be fixed.