Dell is making its laptops more portable

There are times when manufacturers perform small updates on their current lineup of products, but prefer to keep quiet about the matter and not make a big fuss.

It’s the case of Dell. The device maker is revamping its popular lineup of Venue 8 Pro tablets, but that’s not all. You might recall, the company has a line of consumer-friendly notebooks, selling under the Inspiron 15 and 17 7000 name.

Now, it appears new Inspiron 15 laptops have popped up with popular US retailer, Best Buy showing a fresh, sleeker look.
New Inspiron 15 models are up for sale on Best Buy

The new models go by initials 7547 and not 7537 as the older ones did. But the most obvious change comes in the form of design. The new version has softer lines and a two-tone finish with dark gray piano keyboard and a silver lid, as opposed to the previous model which came all silver.

The recent models are also lighter and thinner: they measure 20 mm / 0.78 inches in thickness and 2kg / 4.4 lbs in weight (compared to 22 mm / 0.86 inches and 2.58 kg / 5.68 lbs).

Oddly enough, Dell didn’t change the technical characteristics that much. The new Dell Inspiron 15 continues to use a 15.6-inch HD IPS panel with touch incorporated and offers a choice between Intel Core i5-4210U or i7-4710U both with Intel HD 4400 integrated graphics, traditional hard drives and up to 8GB of RAM.

Dell also throws in a backlit keyboard, but don’t expect to find an optical drive or a numeric keypad, which is another difference from the previous generation.

The makeover focuses on a re-design

There is no mention whether the 15-inchers take advantage of Gorilla Glass or not. We know the previous editions used to take advantage of this feature, but with the new ones we can’t spot any mention of such a function. Has Dell abandoned the Gorilla to keep things light and portable?

On top of that, the prices of the new models seem to be quite similar to those of the older issues. The Core i5 version sells for $650 / €513, while the Core i7 variation can be yours for $780 / €616.

As for the larger models, coming with 17.3-inch form factors, we can’t tell you for sure what the update is going to involve. There are some bank pages on Dell’s official website, where the product should be listed, which indicates the company is cooking up something.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Dell-...n-462996.shtml