Intel’s fastest mobile CPU gets faster
The Core i7-4940MX, which boasts a base frequency of 3.10GHz and a Turbo Boost speed of 4.10GHz, may currently be Intel’s most powerful mobile offering, but apparently even that isn’t quite enough for engineers over at Dell’s Alienware division. Taking matters into their own hands, they have managed to overclock the chip to 4.4GHz and made the souped-up Core i7-4940MX available for purchase as part of their Alienware 17 and 18 gaming notebooks.

“Alienware, manufacturer of blazing fast PCs for enthusiasts, today announced that all of its Intel Core i7 processor-equipped Alienware 17 and Alienware 18 laptops will ship with factory-overclocked processors to reach speeds of up to 4.4Ghz,” Intel said Thursday in a press release lauding Alienware engineers for their creativity in developing “a new thermal solution to ensure reliable and cool operation in such a small system.”

While the Alienware 17 starts at $1,399, its bigger sibling has a starting price of $2,099. The Alienware 17 is available with up to a GeForce GTX 880M GPU with 8GB VRAM and up to 32GB RAM. As for the Alienware 18, it can be ordered with up to a dual GeForce GTX 880M graphics card with 16GB VRAM (all SKUs feature dual graphics) and up to 32GB of RAM.