Microsoft bosses are looking to the future of gaming consoles and are excited about what the company is planning when it comes to the Xbox One's successor. The next-gen gaming race is already hotting up as both Sony and Microsoft turn their attention to what comes next.

Released in 2013, the Xbox One continued the legacies of both the Xbox and Xbox 360 to compete with Microsoft's rivals like Sony and Nintendo. Although the suped-up console is still going strong, gamers are already looking to the future and a tentative date of 2020 for the next-generation of Xbox console(s).

Speaking to LevelUp, Xbox boss Phil Spencer revealed that he is "very excited" for the future of Microsoft's console capabilities:

"The reason I love the consoles that we build is because I think we can build very special consoles. I see it today with Xbox One X and how games run on the Xbox One X; I think it's a fantastic place to play. When I look at our future plans, I am very excited about what we are going to do in the console space."

Spencer remains tight-lipped on what Microsoft is working on, but the codenamed Xbox Scarlett appears to be on the horizon. Remembering that the Xbox One nearly got its own VR headset, that could be one way he plans on taking the next console's capabilities. Elsewhere, rumors suggest that Microsoft could be working on a 'family' of consoles to succeed the Xbox One when it finally bows out.

As for Microsoft's own portable device to rub shoulders with the competition, Spencer admitted that it's "not a focus right now." He did go on to explain his frustrations with a lack of cross-play, which is a well-timed jab at Sony's recent cross-play controversy:

"The thing I've always thought was a miss was we have so much content that's locked to an individual device. If I play a console on a television, I play these games. If I play on PC I play those games. I play on a phone I play those games. Some of that's great; because some of those games are purpose-built for that scenario. There are great stories and characters that should .. I think gaming brings people together. And I think the content that I love and the stories; I'd love to see it come to every device."

Speaking of Microsoft's competitors, Sony has already said that the PlayStation 4 is nearing the end of its life cycle and it looks like the Xbox One is heading the same way. That being said, the Xbox One X boasts being the world's most powerful console and may have a few tricks up its sleeve. Spencer has already promised that more exclusives are on the way, and considering the Microsoft has just acquired Obsidian Entertainment and inXile Entertainment, the company clearly has a vision for the future.

Spencer's words echo what he said at E3 2018 when he assured fans that Microsoft will remain committed to its consoles while also trying to bring PC and Xbox players closer than ever. Despite ideas that consoles will eventually make way for a wholly Cloud experience, Spencer thinks hardware is here to stay (for now). Whatever comes after the Xbox One, expect Microsoft to grab headlines when it debuts.