“Watch Dogs” was originally scheduled to launch alongside the Playstation 4 and Xbox One last November. Ubisoft made the decision to delay the game to May 2014 just one month prior to its scheduled release. This decision to go with the delay wasn’t without risks but it was one that Creative Director Jonathan Morin was happy that was made.

“The one thing we benefit a lot from, is the editorial [team] is kind of in charge of deciding if we release the game or not,” Morin told Examiner when asked if he was worried that he wouldn’t be able to. “They are still quite design driven, so as I played the game a lot to analyze problems, they also do that in the background.

“It’s true that companies that work that way are rare. It means that when there are issues at the systemic level that are very design driven, I can chat about that with them and know, ‘yeah that’s a big deal.’ They can then talk to Yves, so in the end it pretty much came down to a collective effort.

“I was extremely happy to see that yeah, they had the balls to do that. We gotta thank journalists and players for that because no matter how hard we want to try and believe it’s all for quality, you don’t throw extra money on something if you don’t believe there’s expectations behind it. In order to work toward filling the expectations of people, you need to have expectations [yourself] in the first place.

“I cannot thank players enough for having shown that level of interest. It feels great. It’s not always easy to be challenged directly in what you do, but that’s the reason why I stay here. There’s’ a nice combination of support and resources to make something grand, but at the same time, there’s a requirement for innovation, which is part of the reason why Watch Dogs was built."

"Watch Dogs" is scheduled to be released on the PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC worldwide on May 27. A Wii U release has been pushed back to later this year.