There are times where we can stand and sit in Virtual Reality. We can just take our time and explore. But sometimes, we sign up for a training mission that throws into the action and forces us to move in order to keep the momentum going and will not take no for an answer. So does Developer I-Illusions make you get up and move? Let’s find out with Space Pirate Trainer for the PlayStation VR.

Before beginning cadets, you need to know a couple of things. One, in order to be a Space Pirate, you will need to go through some training. Two, this is not some walk in the galaxy type of walkthrough. You will need to move and grove and duck and cover. Three, you will be armed with blasters…live action can burn a hole in your soul type of blasters, so make sure those Move controllers are fully charged. And lastly, you have a long way to go before you even get within the same shadow as our top-scoring cadet, so you better keep your head up, eyes open, and you better stretch beforehand. With those warning messages, let’s continue.

THE GREATEST TOP-SCORING SPACE PIRATE TRAINER OF ALL TIME!

But what exactly did we sign up for? I know out in space some jobs may not be the best and some may not even be legal, but sometimes we have to take what we can take. Space Pirate Trainer first and foremost is a wave shooter. One that puts you in the game of a game. It really is immersive the way everything surrounds you. Being this is a shooter, you do have a weapon in each hand that reacts very well here. From the movement to the shooting. Everything felt right and that is very important when you are in a shooter in Virtual Reality.

Each blaster when fired feels like your firing it. From the vibration to the sound of each of the different modes such as the Pulse Laser, Ion Grenade Launcher, Rail Gun, Ray Gun for example. But my absolute favorite weapon to use is the Volton. Pulling it from your back like it was holstered, as you can use it as a whip to grab the enemy and slam it to the ground. If grabbing the enemy is not your thing, you can then turn on the shield and deflect the enemy fire back at the enemies or the blades themselves can be used to deflect the enemy fire. It’s the weapon that just keeps on giving. The Volton is pure awesomeness waiting to be used.

Because this is a shooter, things will be shooting back at you. It’s when you hear that one noise that you know the enemies fire is about to hit and tends to slow down giving you a chance to move and practice your limbo skills as the fire can come from anywhere and when you get into the higher waves, you find out how flexible you are. If not then, by the next day when you feel it. Remember, no pain…no gain. So that pain you may feel is all part of the training of becoming the best Space Pirate Trainer you can be.

Of course, this would not be Space Pirate Trainer if it did not include powerups. The powerups can be anything from shields to different weapon modes to even having a ship come to assist you and fire at the enemies. Thank you I-Illusions for allowing this ally to assist as it came in handy in so many different situations.

You also get a selection of modes from Arcade that gives you three lives, Explorer where your health can regenerate, Hardcore with no bullet time (good luck), and Old School with classic waves. Every time you die, and you will die, because remember the last rule, as you can never be in the shadow of the greatest Space Pirate Trainer of all time, you get to check and see how well you have done. The great thing about this checklist aka leaderboard is to show you how much more training you really need or how much the person above you cheated (I have no proof, but I am sure they did in some form or fashion).

But the good thing about each of these game modes is the number of waves. Not 10 or 15 or 20, that would be too nice, as part of your training, you get 35 waves per game mode. Yes, 35 glorious, moving, ducking, dodging, pulling waves for you to defend. But you cannot be expected to go all the way through, I mean every 5 waves, you do get a checkpoint which if you can make it to so said checkpoint, are allowed so graciously to start a new game from so said checkpoint. But again, it’s not like you have the skills like the greatest Space Pirate Trainer of all time, is it?

If the global leaderboards are getting you down because you know you are better than this and you are sure the ones above you have cheated (again, no proof, but you know they did), there is the party mode. This allows you to play against other people who may be in the same room with you as you would just pass the headset around. This I believe is your proof that you are better than what the global leaderboards show and proves the people above you have committed some type of cheating (again this would be really any proof that would not be valid anywhere else, but do what makes you feel better inside).

Sound wise from your weapons to the enemies to the soundtrack that doesn’t overwhelm to distract you from all the action, it is something that I really enjoy. I would love if the soundtrack could be made separate to listen to or even have an option to make it where there is a balance between the sound effects and the music.

Graphics are pretty good. The distance is not as good as close up and it doesn’t need to be. This is space. I am good seeing that there are stars and trust me, with the all the dodging and ducking and shooting you will be doing, you will not be concentrating on the distance. I mean I guess you could and when the enemies have gotten you and you see your results on those leaderboards, I guess you can use that in your cheating arsenal, but would the greatest Space Pirate Trainer of all time think about that?

With the leaderboards, the unique weapons, and all the moving you will be doing, Space Pirate Trainer deserves to be played and to be part of your PlayStation VR collection. Plus it seems that some of the developers are up on top of those leaderboards and you know what that means….go knock them off of the top.

Space Pirate Trainer is out now. A review copy was provided. To learn more about the game and to check on the leaderboards, check out the site. To learn more about I-Illusions, please check out their site and make sure follow them on Twitter. Also, don’t forget to check out the Space Pirate Trainer interview.

In case you missed the trailer, please enjoy.