Rockstar they could consider making a Red Dead Redemption 3 if their next release performs well. In a recent interview, the studio’s co-founder and vice president of creativity, Dan Houser, said that the developer would consider making another Western, should the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 sell well.

I would suggest that that’s not a very big if – I don’t think it’s hyperbolic to suggest that Red Dead Redemption 2, which is due out later this month, is one of this year’s most-anticipated releases. And if it does anything like as well as its developer’s most recent release – Grand Theft Auto V – it stands to make an awful lot of money.

Talking to Vulture, Houser said that the studio would consider making Red Dead Redemption 3 “if this one does well enough and we think we have other interesting things to say.” That’s not a guarantee, of course, but I would say that given Rockstar’s previous successes, it’s pretty likely. Currently, however, the focus is on Red Dead Online, which Houser wants to be “as robust as Grand Theft Auto Online.”

Sadly, there’s still no word on Red Dead Redemption 2’s PC release. Given Houser’s suggestion that a successful launch could drive a third game in the series, however, I’m even less willing to entertain the possibility that we won’t see a PC release than I was before.

The Red Dead Redemption 2 release date is now pretty close – October 26 is less than two weeks away. The Red Dead 3 release date (should it ever actually come) is probably the best part of a decade away though, so you’d better hope Arthur’s next adventure keeps you going for a while.