A new game from Imaginary Game Studios called Perturbia has made its way onto Steam Greenlight. So what is it and why should you care? Well, it’s a horror adventure title and you might care if you liked games like the original Silent Hill or maybe The 7th Guest or games like Gabriel Knight or Condemned: Criminal Origins.

It’s an indie game, of course, which is why it’s on Steam’s Greenlight community page. The title is picking up quite a bit of fair praise for its creative use of dark atmosphere and disturbing aesthetics. In the same way that you can see that the game isn’t AAA level, you can easily see that there’s a lot of potential and that it does properly convey an atmosphere dark and dank enough to appeal to horror-survival fans.

You can see what the game looks like in action with the trailer below.

Of course, what good is a trailer if you have no clue whatsoever what the game is about? Well, it’s basically about a photographic journalist who goes into an abandoned building and finds himself trapped. Not only is he trapped but he’s got company. Players simply have to help Jon, the photographer, get out of the building. Seems simple right? Well, it’s not. It’s about as difficult as trying to break into a mortuary and prying a Henry repeater rifle from the dead, cold fingers of an ancient NRA member.

As noted on the game’s Greenlight page…

“Unlike the most modern games, Perturbia’s demanding task are much more difficult to achieve but the rewards will measure up to it.

“We, the Developers, understand that many players -as well as we ourselves- still looking for those old games where you have to put in blood and sweat to get to the end, games that boosted feelings of frustration, anger and impotence while playing, but satisfaction and pleasure when reaching the end.”

I definitely miss the old-school of doing things… hammering out gameplay that revolves around exploration and player-fueled determination. I do agree with the developers that it’s a feeling in gaming that I sorely miss – being able to just play and die and fail, and eventually find my own way to success. The hand-holding has muddied the thrill of success and dampened the thrill of victory.

If you want to see Perturbia find its way onto Steam’s store page, be sure to pay a kind visit to the official Greenlight page and give the title an upvote or two. Alternatively, you can find out more about Perturbia – although really, all the necessary info is on the Greenlight page – you can pay a visit to the game’s official website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypo8dhX2a9A