Phil Spencer is well aware of the fact that the console needs more than space marine shooters and racing games

Microsoft currently has some new IPs in the works, and the company places its faith in their ability to sway the gaming masses and convince them to adopt its newest home console, the Xbox One.

Its primary contender, Sony’s PlayStation 4, is currently ahead of Microsoft’s console in terms of hardware and software sales by a rather large percentage, and Redmond is struggling to catch up.

Speaking to IGN, the head of Microsoft’s Xbox division, Phil Spencer, mentions that the corporation is well aware of the fact that it needs a lot more than space marine shooters and racing games in order to rouse the crowds’ interest in the Xbox One.

The Xbox One needs more than space marines and racing games

“Yes, there are first-party internal and external studios working on games that are not announced. I think that will always be true, just to be clear,” Spencer begins.

“I think new stories, new characters, give us a new canvas to try new things. [Sunset Overdrive is] a great example of that. It's a game that isn't like anything else in our portfolio, and I think that's great.

“I want to continue to invest in things that push the boundaries. I don't need another military space marine game. I don't probably need another racing game. In terms of trying things that are new and have a unique reason to be in our portfolio, it's gotta be a commitment from us as a first-party, absolutely,” Spencer explains.

The Xbox boss points yet again to Rare, a development studio known for making a lot of great, fresh games, such as Banjo Kazooie, Conker, and Donkey Kong Country, before focusing on building stuff for Microsoft’s motion controller.

Spencer says that he doesn’t want Rare to become synonymous with the Kinect Sports series, and that the company is currently working on something new, and that he would love for them to make something that felt like one of their old titles.

The Xbox One isn’t doing great, but things aren’t bad either

While the PlayStation 4 has surpassed the 10 million units sold milestone back in August, Microsoft is reluctant to publish its more recent sales figures, the latest such information dating from back in April, when the company pointed to 5 million Xbox One home consoles being shipped worldwide.

The corporation’s latest financial earnings report for the June to September period reveals that a total of 2.4 million units of both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One consoles have been shipped all around the world, pointing to a strong year-on-year growth, which means that the market is very healthy, and there is a lot of potential for catching up in the future.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...e-463089.shtml