At their San Diego Comic-Con panel, Screen Gems revealed new details about the live-action film adaptation of The Last of Us, including that Neil Druckmann, the original game’s writer and co-director, will be writing the script.

Sam Raimi, director of the original Spider-Man trilogy and Evil Dead, will produce the movie and reassures fans that it will be faithful to the source material. “What’s unique is that Neil’s writing the script. I have a great deal of confidence we’re going to end up with a script that’s true to the strengths of the game.”

Surprisingly, for the movie, Druckmann originally wanted to make more changes from the game than Raimi. “We talked about a very different ending,” Druckmann explained. “[Raimi] convinced me to go back to the original experience. It doesn’t need to be different.”

Raimi jokingly replied, “I thought I was going to have to protect this movie from producers. It looks like I’m going to have to protect it from you.”

The film's director has not been decided on as of yet.

Do these latest details make you hopeful for The Last of Us movie? Let us know in the comments below and keep checking back to PSU for everything PlayStation.