Quantic Dream’s latest story-driven, choice-driven game is almost here – and the new demo provides you with a gripping scenario to experience.

Detroit: Become Human has been a long time coming, and based on our hands-on experience and our detailed chat with the game’s lead writer it rather seems like the game is aiming to take a step beyond what was achieved with Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain, the studio’s previous titles.

Today saw a Detroit: Become Human demo launch on the PlayStation Store, and so we hopped on and had a play of it, recording all of the action in lovely 4K via the PS4 Pro. The game looks absolutely gorgeous, and though the slightly stilted manner of moving around an prodding at an environment to unearth clues and other interactive cues feels very familiar, it really does look like Detroit is aiming to offer a far greater degree of choice and consequence than Quantic Dream has managed before.

I hold my hands up – I have something of a mixed relationship with Quantic Dream’s previous work. Heavy Rain was something that initially grabbed me but trundled off the rails fast for me – and I thought Beyond was actually pretty poor. Later on, I thought Quantic Dream were basically beaten at their own game by the excellent Until Dawn.

This little half-hour slice of Detroit already had me far more interested than I was in Beyond, however, with a stronger initial setup and seemingly a more ambitious approach to the choices you’re making in-game. So color me intrigued – I’m very interested to see how choice, consequence and the general tone of the potentially thematically rich plot pans out in the full game.

In the meantime, however, you can enjoy the demo. I don’t get it all right and I don’t find the clues – but that was by design. This was one of a few play throughs where I just tried to find out how different it’d get and far the game would go, and I was impressed that it does have the stones to let things go all the way south – though they don’t in this video. Detroit is out May 25 on PS4.