Congratulations on your recent purchase of what many consider to be the greatest handheld ever created. I mean, sales numbers dont lie, and sales for the 3DS are quite impressive! The next step in your journey to awesomeness is to equip yourself with some quality 3DS games. Luckily for you guys, we have compiled a list of a few games we feel every new 3DS owner should check out! As an added bonus, we have also included a few DS games that you may have missed.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Developed by Monolith Soft & Nintendo

A Link Between Worlds is the sequel to the Super Nintendo classic, A Link to the Past. The graphical style is brilliant, mixing SNES-era characters and modern 3D textures. Nintendo did a fantastic job at bringing new elements to this game, while retaining everything that made a Link to the Past a masterpiece. This new entry also adds a new feature that allows Link to blend into walls to complete complex puzzles and access hidden areas. Like most games in the Zelda series, Between Worlds offers plenty of puzzles, each one being unique from the others. While some gamers might be turned off by the exploration aspect of Between Worlds, it is definitely something that every 3DS owner should at least check out.

Fire Emblem: Awakening Developed by Intelligent Systems & Nintendo

I’ll be honest, this was the first Fire Emblem game that I had ever played. Being a huge fan of Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, I decided to make this title my first 3DS game purchase. I can still remember the night I picked it up. I was completely blown away by the story and gameplay that I stayed up all night progressing through the game. Fire Emblem: Awakening is a tactical turn-based RPG that brings familiar gameplay and mixes it with new and creative elements. Perhaps one of the coolest features of the game is the relationship system. During battle, if two male and female characters fight alongside long enough, they have the chance to fall in love. That’s right, LOVE. Even more, there is also the potential for them to have kids. Whether you are a newcomer to the Fire Emblem series (like I was), or just a straight up fan of awesome games, I definitely recommend Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Mario Kart 7 Developed by Retro Studios & Nintendo

It may seem like a given that a Mario Kart game would be on any type of Nintendo list. However, it’s because of Mario Kart 7 that we were blessed with Mario Kart 8. MK7 introduced us to the aerial gliding aspect that we now see in Mario Kart 8. It also introduced the ability to have submersible karts. The inclusion of online multiplayer in MK7 makes this game a great title for those 3DS owners looking for a solid miltiplayer experience. This isn’t the best Mario Kart on the market, but it is definitely one of the most unique and exciting entries in the series.

Tomodachi Life Developed by Nintendo

This is a weird title to say the least. Tomodachi Life is a life simulator that has you creating Mii versions of anyone you can think of, and have them mingle amongst themselves on your own private island. While Tomodachi Life isn’t really a game, it does offer tons of replayability and things to do. What makes Tomodachi Life so appealing is how weird the game actually is. Within a few hours of creating a few Miis, my Mii version of Iwata was already falling in love with my wife. I will be the first person to tell you that I don’t like life simulators, but Tomodachi Life is pretty damn impressive.

Honorable Mentions

Don’t forget you can still play all of the amazing games from the DS library on your shiny new 3DS! Here are two of our favorite DS games.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife Developed by Atlus

Trauma Center was one of the first DS games that I ever played and still remains one of the best games that I have ever played. Think of Trauma Center as a video game version of the popular board game Operation. You play the role of a new Surgeon who is put through all types of different surgeries and situations. During my time playing, I couldnt help but be on the edge of my seat at all times. Even though this is just a game and is nothing compared to a real Emergency Room, it makes you truly appreciate what real Surgeons have to endure. Props to all the Doctors, Surgeons, and Nurses out there!

Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis Developed by Nintendo

March of the Minis is a puzzle game that involves getting mini Marios through various obstacles. March of the Minis utilizes the extra screen on the 3DS is a great way and controls absolutely perfect. There are a ton of levels in this game so you will be busy for quite some time. Once you get through all of the levels that the game has to offer, you can create new ones and share them, or download new levels created by the community. How’s that for replay value!