Future God of War games could be based on Egyptian or Mayan cultures, according to game director Cory Barlog.

After six installments based in Ancient Greece, Kratos’ latest adventure – due out on PS4 in 2018 – is themed around Norse mythology. However, it looks like the series will move on a little quicker this time.

“The Greek games were the Greek era of God of War,” Barlog told Game Informer, via Gamespot.

“Moving on, the next mythological belief system he interacts with became the Norse era of God of War. But we may end up going on to the Egyptian era and the Mayan era and so on and so forth.”

God of War’s mythological base isn’t the only thing to have changed since its early days, with the new game incorporating a greater emphasis on exploration, and a tighter camera to try and tell a more personal story.

These evolutions were addressed by the head of Sony Santa Monica studio, Shannon Studstill, in the same interview.

“What became apparent to me was that we were watching this franchise wane a bit,” Studstill said.

“It was getting old. The storyline with Kratos being the hardcore badass – I think people were starting to say, ‘What’s next?’ I felt like, in order to reinvent, we really needed to turn a lot of things around.”

God of War is currently set for release in “early 2018”, which rumours suggest could end up being some time in March.

Barlog has also said that the God of War’s campaign will take around 25-35 hours to beat, making it significantly larger than previous games in the series.