A number of big video game sales are going on right now, including the Steam Winter Sale, PlayStation Holiday Sale, and Xbox Countdown Sale. But if you prefer getting games for free (and who doesn't?), GOG has what you're looking for. Between now and December 30, you can download the horror game Soma for PC, Mac, and Linux, totally free. While you're there, GOG probably hopes you'll check out its own winter sale, which runs through January 3.

Soma is a first-person game that takes place in an underwater research lab. As often happens in these sorts of games, you find yourself alone in the facility with no recollection of how you got there or what's going on. Your job is to avoid being killed by what lurks in the shadows as you learn about the lab and make your way to safety.

In GameSpot's 9/10 Soma review, Richard Wakeling wrote, "I came in expecting something similar to Amnesia, just in a terrifying new location, but what I found is an intelligent game that forced me to think and contemplate ideas as only the best sci-fi is capable of doing. It may not stir the hordes of wailing YouTubers looking for the next best haunted house, but SOMA succeeds at crafting something much more meaningful in a genre that’s deserving of more than just simple jump scares."

To get your free (and DRM-free) copy, all you need to do is hop over to GOG, sign in or create an account, and click the "Claim" button. Do that, and you'll receive an email saying Soma has been added to your library. Easy peasy.

That's not the only deal GOG has going right now; over 2,000 games are on sale for up to 90% off. And if you spend just $0.01 during the winter sale, you'll receive a free copy of the 1996 strategy game Fantasy General (regularly $1.50). Spend $15, and you'll get Everspace (normally $30) for free.