Fallout: New Vegas dev hopes the next Fallout game has agonizing choices

Lead designer and project director on Fallout: New Vegas Josh Sawyer said he hopes the next game in the Fallout series will force players to make difficult choices.

"Fallout games are best when the choices are - and this applies to role-playing games in general, but Fallout is a more desperate world - more agonizing,” Sawyer told Eurogamer in an interview. “They feel more appropriate to the post-apocalyptic genre. So I hope that whatever twists and turns the story takes, it's more nuanced than a black-and-white choice."

Sawyer cites the endings of the original, 2D Fallout games, as well as Fallout: New Vegas, which he said was designed to challenge the player.

“Some people want to go through the wasteland like a tourist, which is fine - they don't really want it to be super-difficult,” he said. “Personally I like things to be a little more challenging,” he said, “and there's a segment of players that also want [that]. I don't have any doubt in this.”

Bethesda Game Studios’ next project has been in full development for more than a year now. Rumor has it that the developer’s next game is Fallout 4, and that it takes place, at least partially, in Boston and its surrounding area. This is unconfirmed, but the evidence is piling up.

Even if that is the case, Bethesda marketing executive Pete Hines confirmed last week that we will not see the game at E3 2014.