In a new weekly update, Bungie confirmed that the characters created by players for the Destiny Beta will not return for the final version of the game. This was addressed in an official update because it had become an issue for players. As Deej described in the update, it was “one questions you’ve all been asking.” Unfortunately, I was forced to read a flowery, melodramatic letter, only to learn the heartbreaking news that I will not be able to carry over my data or character from the Destiny Beta to the game’s official release this fall.

According to Bungie designer Tyson Green, so many tweaks were made from the Beta version that the characters that from the Beta build would be in “strange shape at best, or broken at worst.” OK, that is at least an excuse I can sort of stomach. I would have preferred for Deej to lead with Tyson Green’s explanation, instead of giving me false hopes when I initially started reading the article and then having to read the elaborate, silly letter.

The news is still disappointing. To be clear, I am not going to organize a pointless movement or boycott because of this news. I will not launch a petition on Change.org. However, I still want to have my moment of catharsis. While I did have my issues with the Destiny Beta–and this may sound silly–I took great pride in the Guardian I created. I really enjoyed getting to play and grow in the world of Destiny with my character. I am saddened that I will not be able to use the character again.

People informed me that my notions of wanting my data to transfer over were unrealistic. However, it is obvious that the fact that Destiny took so much notice of the issue means I was not alone in my opinion. I spoke with Activision reps at Comic-Con, who said they were thinking deeply and hard about the issue, which made me believe it was not impossible. Even the Uncharted 3 multiplayer Beta, although it is a very different game, carried over my stats for the final game. Perhaps this is selfish, but I also wanted to have a head start once the game came out. It is similar to William Cage’s frustration when he has to start his cycle of the war with the Mimics over again in Edge of Tomorrow.

I am not going to do anything crazy because of this development. However, I am still disappointed over the news, and I am simply taking a moment to blow off some steam over the reality, no matter how irrational that may be.