Anything Platinum touches, from Vanquish to Metal Gear Rising, is drenched with frantic madness, especially the follow-up to their 2010 incredibly deep action game-meets butt rock-meets extreme violence-meets European architecture.

Playing through Chapter 2 of the Wii U-exclusive for the first time just reaffirmed my claim that Bayonetta trumps any other action games in terms of sheer insanity. Within minutes of the demo, I had done about a dozen “firsts” for video games. For instance, a mysterious NPC pulled a Moses and turned a lake into a long, walkable tube of water. But of course, I didn’t just walk through it. I animorphed into a panther and ran through that bad boy on all fours. Yep, that was a first.

Of course, the combat sections of Bayonetta 2 presented scenarios just as mind-bogglingly crazy as the original, particularly in the form of the various Torture Attacks. Once an enemy angel’s health got low enough, I could perform absolutely brutal executions that seemed to be pulled from the nightmares of a sadist. I tossed enemies into giant iron maiden, ground them up in a meat-grinder made of my own hair (yup), and transformed into a giant frog-like abomination and ate a fool in a single bite.

But to be honest, none of this would really amount to anything if Bayonetta’s presentation and combat weren’t up to snuff, and thankfully, they absolutely are. Nintendo’s still keeping a lot of a story under wraps, but the locations we’ve seen so far are great looking and a blast to run through. The demo from last year showcased a manic boss battle through a sprawling metropolis, all while you’re fighting atop the back of a giant beast. Chapter 2 allowed you to run through gorgeous streets, canals, and churches in a city that felt like equal parts Paris and Venice.

The core combat of Bayonetta 2 is deep, but accessible. It's designed to make anyone who picks up a controller feel like a the harbinger of death, but those who're willing to invest the time it takes to learn combos, master dodging, and flip between battle styles will find one of the most complex action systems around.

Everything about Bayonetta 2 has me excited. Platinum’s pedigree, the outrageous action, the wacky costumes inspired by Nintendo history, and the fact that the original Bayonetta is included in the package are all winners in my book. We still don’t have a an exact release date aside from “October,” but I am officially ready.