So the Xbox One has been available for about six months now and contrary to popular belief, it’s actually selling quite well. But being within the first year of a new console, releases are kind of barren. So in the meantime, let’s ponder the future by taking a look at Microsoft’s past. They’ve released some serious gems and acquired some intriguing IP over the years. Here are five that I would like to see return in some capacity on their new console!

Black & White

Before Fable, Lionhead Studios was responsible for the series of god-games Black & White. Players assumed the role of a giant animal-like god that ruled over and conquered territories, obtaining more worshippers along the way. The series includes aspects of strategy and fighting games as great gods attempt to expand their influence and face off against other gods for territory. Zeus would be proud. This series was a huge PC hit and one of the flagship titles of a relatively thin genre. I think Black & White on the Xbox One would be a brilliant move to broaden the first party library and introduce a new generation to a classic franchise.

Battletoads

I have never actually played the original Battletoads; nor do I have any masochistic tendencies that would have undoubtedly come from such as an experience. Microsoft acquired this IP when they bought Rareware and it’s been dormant since the early 90′s. My vision for a new Battletoads? Go the Bionic Commando Rearmed route with this series and develop a game in the same vein as the original in terms of gameplay and down to the visuals. It would be a tremendous addition to the Xbox Live Arcade and could be headliner during a future Summer of Arcade season.

Brute Force

Do you all remember this game? Brute Force was one of the earliest mega-hyped games on the original Xbox and while it was decent, it didn’t live up to expectations. It’s been over a decade since its release and I think it’s time for Microsoft to revisit it. The original was billed as a third-person shooter with multiple playable characters each with their own abilities. This absolutely screams an online cooperative shooter with unique characters and branching paths within levels accessible by only select characters. Throw in some competitive modes and you have what might as well be a new IP loaded with potential.

Project Gotham Racing

Not much to be said about this one. Project Gotham Racing was one of the signature Xbox franchises in the brand’s early days and deserves to make a triumphant return. The original games were made by the now defunct Bizarre Creations so Microsoft would have to hand the franchise off to another developer. Perhaps Turn 10 but they’re busy with the more realistic racing franchise, Forza. Whoever handles it, this is a class Xbox series that should definitely return to, if anything, give us a break from the apparent annualization of Forza.

Age of Empires

Please, please, pleeeease let this timeless series return!! I grew up playing these games and have countless memories of leading armies and conquering nations. Series developer Ensemble Studios was almost inexplicably closed after the surprisingly great Halo Wars on the Xbox 360 and the series has been as dead as can be for even longer (save for some mobile versions here and there). But now with the Xbox One’s power and the proven success of RTS on console, I think it’s time to resurrect one of gaming’s most legendary franchises. An excellent RTS exclusive to the platform would be absolutely huge and would be one of the highlights of Microsoft’s first party line-up.