William Shatner is not interested in starring in his own Star Trek TV show. Although his portrayal of Captain Kirk remains one of the most iconic roles in Star Trek history, the actor is not interested in returning to the role on a full-time basis.

Star Trek has made a massive comeback recently, thanks to the J.J. Abrams movies, as well as the CBS All Access series, Star Trek: Discovery. CBS has even more plans for the franchise, including a new series that will see Patrick Stewart return to his role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. The network also hopes to develop other Star Trek shows for All Access to give fans access to Star Trek year-round. Discovery will also get a second season on the streaming subscription service.

However, there is one Star Trek icon who isn't interested in getting his own series. Shatner told the Toronto Star that he doesn't want to lead his own Star Trek show at this time.

"Right now I’m happy doing what I’m doing. I’ve been offered many series over the years. But I haven’t done them because of the commitment of time. And at this stage of my life that’s more valuable than anything else."

Shatner did congratulate Stewart on his new series that will focus on Captain Picard's life after The Next Generation. Shatner didn't completely rule out reprising his role as Kirk but did note that it would take a great amount of effort to make it happen. CBS TV Studios president David Stapf has specified that the network doesn't currently have plans for a Shatner-based Trek series, but also said, "I would say, never say never."

As it happens, Shatner is still a busy man, even at the age of 87. He continues to act, he makes regular comic convention appearances and he regularly rides horses. He recently has focused his creative efforts on a music career; he has a Christmas album due out in October. Shatner's busy schedule makes it nearly impossible for him to dedicate himself to leading a television series.

Captain Kirk is one of those characters that fans always seem to want more of, but fans already know much of his story as they saw it in the original Trek series and the movies that followed. The franchise eventually killed him off, so bringing him back could feel disingenuous. Chris Pine already portrays a younger version of the character, although there is a possibility that the next Star Trek movie won't have Kirk in it. Kirk's time has come and gone, and perhaps Shatner understands that, in spite of his love for the character.