When Chris Pine’s Steve Trevor blasted into kingdom come in 2017’s Wonder Woman, we hardly imagined we’d now anticipate not only his character’s return in the upcoming sequel, but also his appearance in another Patty Jenkins-helmed project, I Am the Night. There must be something about Chris! Here’s what Patty Jenkins says:

I think he’s an unbelievably talented actor who has so much more than I’ve gotten to see him do yet. He is deep, he is funny, he’s so surprising. Sometimes when there are people like that, particularly when they [are] huge movie stars, the audience asks them to do something very similar over and over again. Even what he did for us in Wonder Woman, he just made us laugh all day long and moved us with his profound reflection on things. He’s become a good friend, but he’s also an actor where there are forty different things I want to make with Chris.

There you have it! Not only is Chris Pine easy on the eyes, Patty Jenkins thinks he has more range than we’ve seen in his 16 years as an actor. She can’t say enough about how much she loves working with him. So don’t be surprised if there’s another collaboration on the way.

Chris Pine first worked with Patty Jenkins in Wonder Woman, which became a guiding light amongst quite a few duds in the DCEU. Diana Prince’s (Gal Gadot) film debut was a huge hit among audiences and made over $821 million worldwide.

Although Chris Pine's character died at the end of the film, during filming for the sequel, Wonder Woman 1984, Patty Jenkins teased Steve Trevor's unexpected return. It’s an exciting development for the franchise. In Patty Jenkins’ recent interview with AM to DM, she said she was working on the sequel while filming the first Wonder Woman. Chris Pine’s talent likely had something to do with his return.

After getting to know Chris Pine for Wonder Woman, Patty Jenkins said she mentioned a project surrounding the Black Dahlia murders she was passionate about, and he instantly showed interest. It later became her mini-series I Am the Night, based on a true-crime novel by Fauna Hodel, with whom Jenkins has become friends.

I Am the Night follows Fauna Hodel as a teenager. She starts digging into her past, since she was given away at birth. Along the way she meets a disgraced reporter, played by Chris Pine, and they work together to unravel the mystery -- which becomes linked to one of Hollywood’s most infamous unsolved murders.

What will Chris Pine and Patty Jenkins work on next? Well, per some recent words from Pine, he will not be returning to play Steve Trevor after Wonder Woman 1984. On the other hand, Jenkins has revealed she’s already thought up how to end Diana Prince’s story with Wonder Woman 3. Also, considering recent reports that Star Trek 4 won’t happen after all, Pine’s schedule could be wide open. Whether it’s another Wonder Woman movie or something else, we’d love to see the two continue to collaborate.

I Am the Night premieres on TNT on Monday, January 28, 2019 and Wonder Woman 1984 hits theaters on June 5, 2020.